Wednesday, 27 September 2006

My granddad’s birthday

It was my granddad’s birthday yesterday. He turned 76. Two weeks ago I was walking around the Freo markets and trying to find a nice gift for his birthday. This was really difficult! What should I give my granddad? He has everything!
But then I found something which he definitely didn’t had yet, something very unique and special to Australia – a cane toad! :-)
The cane toad was introduced to Queensland in 1935 in order to control the native cane beetle that destroyed the cane crop. But instead of eating lots and lots of cane beetles the cane toad started spread across country. It spread all the way from Queenstown to the northern boarder of Western Australia where they are trying to fight them at the moment. [A very funny movie about different ways to kill a cane toad.]
One way to make use of these toads, and more important to make this problem public all around the world, is to dry frost them, stuff them and sell them as souvenirs :-)
I think he liked this special present… at least I hope so :-)

No comments: