Actually I wanted to start my PhD on the first of May but then I got an email on the 24th of April saying that I won the NRW Undergraduate Science Award 2005 (www.undergraduate-awards.de)!! But I only get the price if I participate in the award ceremony on the 3rd of May in Düsseldorf.
And, well, on the 28th of April I was sitting in a plane back to Germany :-)
The plane from Perth to Dubai was overbooked so I was upgraded to business class!!! So I was sitting there in this big comfy chair and was as happy as a little kid on Christmas!
Back in Germany I visited a couple of friends - Andrea and Ossy in Frankfurt, Nicole in Stuttgart, Metzchen in Darmstadt and my sister in Frankfurt - all within 5 days!!
The award ceremony was very nice. Eveyone had to do a presentation presenting his paper. And guess what... they told my that I have an Aussie accent already!! Can you believe that?But the very best thing about this trip was that my parents didn't have a clue that I was back in Germany! And it was my dad's birthday on the 4th of May. So I arrived on the 4th of May at home an surprised my whole family! My mum say you are crazy and screamed ;-) And my dad was standing motionless in the doorway for a minute saying nothing because he didn't believe his eyes! It was really great!!

2 comments:
Wow! I can imagine the look on the face of your parents. You should have had a camera with you - but I guess you won't forget that moment very soon :-)
Hey, congratulations! I didn't know that you won a award! It seems that your life is going well. I am so happy for you! It is really a pitty that we haven't met again in Germany. Well, now I am in Spain and I will hopefully go to USA after I finish my degree. Bernd will go there in September and does his PhD there. I wanna go with him, or better follow him. But therefore I have to find a job or a PhD possition as well. I wish you all the best! And please stay in touch!
Besos, Anja
Post a Comment