Tuesday, 24 October 2006

Experiencing Ramadan

Yesterday was the last day of Ramadan. Muslim people all over the world weren’t allowed to eat or drink from sunrise to sunset for the last 4 weeks. But as soon as the sun goes down everyone started eating :-) Usually they break their fast with dates and a salty and spicy yoghurt drink (similar to Lassie). After that the men go to the mosque for praying and the women prepare the dinner and pray at home.
A friend of mine is Muslim, she comes from Bahrain. And she used to brake the fast with her “family” here – a couple of other Muslim girls. On the weekends I was also invited to break the fast together with them.
Here I have to add that I tried fasting myself …. but I gave up on this after 2 days or so. I was soooo hungry during the day! But what is even worse in summer time – you aren’t allowed to drink! Nothing for me…
But I really enjoyed gathering together with the girls and break the fast together with them. They start with dates and sesame sauce and this salty, spicy yoghurt drink. After that we shared some really yummy traditional food where everyone brought a different dish. This was really nice and I am happy that I was invited.

No comments: