Tuesday, 7 November 2006

Denmark
We had such a great weekend! But no, we haven’t been to Europe just for the weekend like actually a lot of (non-Australian) people here at Curtin thought… they should leave their computers more often!!
So we went down south Friday night. We stayed together with 7 others in “The Lookout” which was only 5 min. away from the beach where we went surfing.
I started the Saturday really lazy – I slept in, while most of the others went for a surf early in the morning. We had a huge breakfast together and went to visit some wineries afterwards.






A couple of weeks ago we had dinner with a couple of other Germans and they introduced me to this fantastic wine. They were raving about this little family business near Denmark that produces such lovely vines. So I had to visit Moombaki while we were in Denmark.

And it was indeed a lovely spot - a small estate in the middle of the forest surrounded by wine yards. Lots of birds were flying around and I spotted this beautiful little blue bird, a fairy wren. I never saw such a bright blue bird before.
A couple with 3 little boys (you can actually see them on the wine labels) runs this business. And I think they love doing it! They hand pick their wine and try to avoid chemicals as much as possible. We tested their wines and I was really happy that our friends loved these wines as well. My absolute favourite is the 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec. I think we ended up buying 2 cases (24 bottles) in total.
At night we had dinner in “Mary Rose Restaurant and Tea Shoppe” which is probably the best place in Denmark for eating out.
Sunday morning everyone went for a surf and we had lots of fun. I tried the buggy board for the first time and improved my surfboard skills. But even though I still can’t stand up, I just love lying or kneeing on the board, catching a wave and being pushed to the beach!
Unfortunately the weekend was much too short!!

No comments: