Friday, 20 July 2007

The Waifs

How I got to know The Waifs...
I was travelling around the south-east coast of Australia from Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney up to Brisbane in Dec04/Jan05 with some friends. During our trip in a tour bus along the great ocean road the tour guide played music from his ipod. This is where I heard 'London Still' for the first time and I loved this song! I told Ian about this song and he told me that The Waifs are actually a Western Australian band from Albany!! And so I liked them even more and a couple of weeks later I bought their lates album 'A brief history...'. I really like their Australian lyrics and their Australian folk music. My 3 favourite songs are probably: London Still, Bridal Train, Hair Cut
So when I heard that they are on tour in Australia we bought tickets straight away. The gig at the Freo Fly by Night Club sold out within a day! So we went there on Thursday. The club is really tiny, only about 500 people fit in there and it is smoke-free!!! Unthinkable in Germany!
It was a really intimate atmosphere and you could tell that they had a really good time performing on stage. And it was soo good to see a live act again and to dance in the crowd! I really enjoyed it and we had a fantastic time!!!
They played lots of their old songs but also stuff from their new album. But I have to say that I don't like their new songs that much. Because they recorded this album in Nashville so the songs are American country songs – lyrics and sound – not much to do with Australia anymore. So I hope they will go back to their roots after that :-)

No comments: