Sunday, 3 February 2008

Backyard Blitz

Blitz is actually the German word for lightning. But since the second world war it is used in the English language in Blitzkrieg or the Blitz (German aerial attacks on Britain). And the Backyard Blitz is also a garden makeover show on Australian TV.
Anyway, amongst Ian's friends backyard blitzes are for helping each other renovating a house or garden. A couple of friends come together to help someone painting, paving, demolishing :-) ... which I think is a really great idea and saves lots of money too!
So eight of us went over to a friends place yesterday to help him paving the backyard of his new house. I actually enjoyed doing physical work because I am usually sitting in front of a computer the whole day, so this was a good change. But this first enjoyment held only for the first 4h or so.
It was a bloody hot day (37C)! There was hardly any wind and by 9pm it was still above 30C! I also can"t remember the last time I"ve been that dirty and sweaty :)
Probably the best tool / toy that we could play with that day was the little dingo (excavator) they hired. It was so much fun driving this around! But the best thing was that by the end of the day the whole backyard was paved! It was really good to see what we had achieved during the last 9h or so. And waking up the next morning our sore muscles still reminded us of that ;)

No comments: