Sunday, 27 August 2006

City to Surf - I DID IT!!

We got up really early at 6.30am on Sunday morning and drove into the city. There was lots of traffic and people in running shoes everywhere – on motorbikes, on bicycles, in cars and even people running from their home to the start.


The start area was very crowded. About 25.000 people were about to do the 12km run, 12km walk, 11km wheelchair or 4km walk. We lined up in group D (more than 70min.) for the 12km run. The starter’s gun went off at 8am and…. we stood where stood. It took about 5min for all the faster guys in front to get going. So we literately walked across the start line and it took about 500m until we could run properly.


It was a very good run and I felt quite good the whole time. But I must admit that I was a little bit doped :-) I drank some MuscleEase in the morning and put some herbal muscle relaxing gel on my legs just before the start. That really helped a lot!! Because usually my legs get really tight after 2-3km but this time they were just fine – no cramps, no tightness, nothing! But I got 2 blisters on my feet because I was not used to run that far in my running shoes. I never ran 12km before!
I did 5km maybe 4 times in the last couple of weeks.

And I nearly ran the whole course. I only walked up the 3 steepest hills but I never stopped or paused!! Crossing the finish line in the end felt really really good!! We finished in about 1h 20min.

The City to Surf 12km run was really good fun and I will do it again next year. And I will probably train a little bit more this time :-)

No comments: