Sunday, 13 May 2007

Mother’s day

Australia
celebrated Mother’s Day, just like Germany, on the 2nd Sunday in May. And I was surprised to hear that Great Britain celebrates Mother’s Day on the fourth Sunday of Lent (see wikipedia).
We drove up in the hills on Mother’s Day Sunday morning for a bike ride. Ian and the guys rode 50km, while I did only the ‘short’ 30km loop. Even though it was quite hilly I averaged 18km/h and reached a maximal 50km/h downhill. This was actually really scary on this small race bike :-)
Before we had lunch with Ian’s parents we visited the markets in Mundaring. This is a complete different world! It is hard to describe but this place is just 30km out of Perth and the people look different, it is the countryside. I think people could tell that we don’t live in this area, especially when I took this picture from the markets.
The markets were outside and inside the community hall and people tried to sell the most horrible and kitschy things. But I have to admit that not everything was that bad. We actually ended up buying some oven mitts and an apron, handmade, with a red and black checkerboard texture.

No comments: