Tuesday, 16 October 2007

"How to pass your thesis with flying colours"

This is the title of the seminar I attended last week. And it was quite good to learn everything about the thesis examination process BEFORE I even started writing. And the statistics were quite interesting as well...
So apparently about 200 students finish their PhD at Curtin each year. And according to Planning and Quality about 40.000 students study at Curtin from which about 1600 do a PhD. So there is a slight discrepancy between the number of people currently doing a PhD and the number of people actual finishing each year... But if you are amongst the 50% or so that actually submit a thesis then the chances are close to 100% that you actual finish your PhD. I think in the last 7 years only 3 students failed.
Once you submitted your thesis you either pass unconditionally (30%), pass conditionally (60%, minor changes) or you have to resubmit (this figure dropped from 10% to 5% in the last years). And surprisingly there is usually no oral presentation unlike in Germany. But from submitting your thesis to actually graduating it can take up to 6 months or so. So lots of time to travel until I have to start working eventually ;-)

No comments: