Freeway Bike Hike 2So on Thursday I wanted to ride to uni as a last training session before the race on Sunday. But just 2km from home one of my pedals broke. They were rather old pedals with little metal straps that held my feet in place for better efficiency. Ian said it was a sign from above ;-) and he wouldn't fix my pedals - I had to get 'proper' click in pedals and shoes. But I had a big reluctance especially because it was just a few days before the race! You need time to get used to click-in-pedals - if you can't get out of them quick enough... you can image what happens.
So this morning - 1 day before the race!! - I bought a pair of click-in-shoes. Ian set up a wind trainer and I practised clicking in and out of the pedals in our court yard. Next, we rode over to the oval to practice clicking in and out while actually riding. At that point I was already pretty scared of falling over. And guess what happened.... when I arrived at the oval I braked and... didn't know / didn't remember to click out.... and fell over... and made a couple of people laugh :-) All this didn't really make me more confident. But I guess I only have to click in once at the beginning of the race and click out again at the end - there are no traffic lights or intersections - I hope I will be alright!

No comments:
Post a Comment