Monday, 2 June 2008

Rotto in June

Just like last year on the long (Foundation Day) weekend we went over to Rotto - my favourite island! Together with a couple of friends we stayed in Geordie Bay directly next to the beach :-)
The weekend started with a heavy thunderstorm and it rained pretty much the whole day. But I actually enjoyed it - sleeping in, reading a book, listening to the rain, smelling the fresh rainy air... - up to the point when the water started dripping down the kitchen fans and pressing through the window chinks and coming in under the door. These units aren't built for stormy weather.
But Sunday and Monday compensated for all that. It was sunny, blue sky and we even went swimming. I went fishing for the first time in my live. I always thought of fishing as a really really boring 'sport' and my opinion hasn't changed :-) But I have to admit that I got all excited when I actually caught a fish!! And we caught lots and lots of Herring which all ended up on the barbie :-)
One afternoon a little honey eater flew through the open window into our unit. And as soon as we put honey on our fingers the litte bird would come close and lick the honey from our fingers.

Imagine a clear blue sky, sun shine, you are on a boat anchored close to a beautiful little beach, the water is crystal clear, the coral reef full of fish is just a short swim away, eagle rays swim around, being on board surrounded by great friends drinking a glass of chilled white wine and eating freshly caught calamari - what a fantastic finish of a great weekend!

No comments: